Hello and welcome to the team Spotlights! For the next two weeks we will be highlighting our 2018 Design Team and sharing their new projects! My name is Paige Evans and I am so excited to be here with a layout featuring my new Pick-Me-Up Alphabet Stamps!
Here is a process video so you can see exactly how this layout came together – mistakes and all!
I started with a white background because I knew I wanted to use the stamps and lots of colored inks. I had the idea to do stamping along stitched lines so that’s what I did first, but only the top 2/3 of the page and at first I only used white thread. I didn’t want to do straight lines because I can’t sew straight lines! So I went with the flow and exaggerated the lines so be purposefully not straight.
Next came the stamping! I pulled out all of the colors of ink that I own that coordinate with Pick-Me-Up and stamped the letters one at a time. This took awhile. But it’s so fun to see the background come together! Speaking of the background, I had only just begun stamping when I decided I wanted to fill the entire background with stamping, not just the top 2/3. So I sewed more lines. If you read what it says I basically copied and pasted my daughter’s answers to her annual birthday questionnaire that I post on my blog. It’s all about her favorites when she turned 5!
I left a little gap between each question/answer to add an embellishment. At first I used all of the buttons and bigger sequins from the Pick-Me-Up Haberdashery Multi-Pack. It took me a long time to figure out that those embellishments were taking away from the layout instead of adding to it, as much as I loved them! I replaced the buttons and larger sequins with tiny Puffy Stickers. Much better!
Something still felt like it was missing though so I decided to stitch colored thread lines directly below the white stitched lines. I think it helps the lines of stamping stand out more. There were also two colors of ink that I used that were really pale so I went over those letters with a darker color to help them stand out.
I started with three photos and wound up only using 1. Sometimes that’s how it goes! Ya know I just realized I could have used washi tape and attached all three photos together to create a flip book… I am totally going to go back and do that! But anyway, to finish up the layout I added a floral die cut, “happy” fussy cut from the 6×6 Paper Pad, a little pink sequin from the Haberdashery Multi-Pack on the right, and to the left of the photo I trimmed a tiny colorful scalloped border from one of the 6×6 papers.
I hope that you are inspired to try out the Pick-Me-Up Alphabet Stamps! They are so fun and versatile!