Do you ever just creatively play for fun? That is how this entire layout started! I am pretty new to watercolour and mixed media on layouts so I took some time to play a little bit one day.
I was experimenting on some heavy white cardstock with wate colour powders. I was just playing and adding colours and before I knew it I had an explosion of colour that I knew would make a great background for a layout.
Because I was just playing and hadn’t really taken size or shape into consideration, the main area of colour was a little unbalanced and I needed to find a solution before I could create my layout.
I decided to embrace the unbalance and really exaggerate it so I trimmed a few inches off the right side of my painted piece. I went through the papers in the Truly Grateful collection and found a few that coordinated with the colours of paint I had used, but didn’t overwhelm it. I really wanted the painting to be the focal point. I trimmed those papers down into strips and stitched them all together with my sewing machine.
I found a photo I wanted to use that had similar colours in it and mounted the photos with a couple of pieces of white tissue. I also used craft foam to lift it off the page a little. I wanted to keep going with the bright and colourful theme of the page so before I stuck my photo down, I added a couple of floral die cuts and tangled thread in behind it.
I decided on my title and cut the Two cut file from Paige Evans from white cardstock. I really wanted the title to stand out from the colourful background so instead of patterned paper, I backed the cut file with vellum. I then finished the rest of my title with Truly Grateful Thickers.
I added a few more puffy stickers around the page but felt that I needed something to help give the layout some balance so I created a smaller cluster on the bottom left of the layout with a few stickers. It helped fill in the uncomfortable white space and really balanced the whole layout nicely.
I love how bright and colourful this layout is but what I love the most it how I managed to create something from a messy experiment!