Hey lovely scrappy people! To start this new year, I’m sharing my new mini album with you. It’s not at all wintery or holiday-themed, it’s a mini album from my vacation in Italy last July. I mainly used the beautiful Truly Grateful collection and also added some Lucky Us and Horizon.
In my last workshop I taught in Rome, I bought a LOT of new pastel-colored binder rings. I was so excited to use them, so I created a mini album where I could incorporate those. The album has in fact the shape of a normal binder with three rings.
To start I cut my cardboard to 27 x 16,5cm. I used a pretty floral paper from Truly Grateful to cover the cardboard and then I used a cute pink paper from Lucky Us to adhere on top of the floral paper. For the inside, I used this darker pink paper from Truly Grateful.
I won’t go into detail too much about how to do the base of the album. You can click here to see my latest mini album post, where I explain more in detail. Or you can watch the process video on my YouTube channel.
When I had the base ready with all the papers covering it, I added some zig-zag stitching an all four sides of the cover, back and spine. I really love how that looks.
Then I added the three binder rings. For the cover, I wanted to use a cut file. I created one saying: “Italy 2019” and backed it with pretty papers in rainbow order. I adhered it to the cover using foam squares. I also used a Layered Butterfly cut file by Paige Evans. I used five different tones of pink and purple. Then I stitched through the middle of the butterfly and adhered it to the cover. To finish the cover, I used some word stickers and gold heart stickers.
On the spine, I added gold tulle that I knotted on the rings, creating puffy bows. I LOVE how that looks. The tassel hanging from one of the rings is an older one I created some months ago.
For my inside pages, I cut rectangles of 22 x 16cm. I decorated each of the pages before I cut them apart, making two 16 x 11cm pages out of them and adding the holes to insert them in the album. Then I also added the zig-zag stitching to each page.
Here are all the pages of the album. Make sure to scroll to the end to read some more details about some of the techniques I used.
- I included 9 cut files in the album: STAR BACKGROUND 306322, DAISY 288946, GIRL SQUAD 288938, FLOWER 274519, CRAB 267053, BUTTERFLIES WREATH 262711, JEWEL HEART 230978, PIE CHART 278094, DRAGONFLY 272000. Except the Flower one, all of them are by Paige.
- I laminated the star background cut file and the flower cut file. I love adding little details like this in an album.
- I added some gold tulle details. I stitched them on the crab, the dragonfly, the daisy, and put some behind the puffy butterfly sticker. It’s the first time I’m doing this and I love how it looks.
- I hand-cut out the names of the places in big bold letters. I love using hand-cut letters on my layouts. Why not use them in an album?
- I added journaling by hand-writing some lines on white paper, cutting out the strips, and adhering them to the pages. I didn’t type them on the computer because I’m too lazy to do that… Plus, I really like my hand-writing!
- For the rest of the decorating, I used the wonderful cardstock stickers, puffy stickers, puffy words, ephemera pieces, enamel hearts, wood buttons and fussy-cut bits from the Truly Grateful collection.
I think the album turned out really cute and has a lot of texture. I hope you like it too!